Information about the size, strength, location, and capabilities of enemy forces is essential to military operations
To gather information, the services rely on aerial photographs, human observation, and electronic
monitoring using radar, satellite, and supersensitive radios.
Intelligence officers gather technical intelligence
needed for military planning.
What They Do
Intelligence officers in the military perform some or all of the following duties:
- Direct sea, ground, and aerial surveillance
- Integrate efforts to attack personnel, facilities, or equipment with the intent of degrading, neutralizing, or
destroying enemy combat capability
- Exploit imagery and geospatial data from satellite and airborne systems in support of military operations
- Prepare, review, and approve investigative/operational reports of investigations and inspections
- Brief commanders on intelligence findings
- Help plan military missions including those involving electronic and pyschological warfare
- Gather and analyze technical and human intelligence
- Oversee security investigations
- Provide technical expertise and manags activities during imagery interpretation activities
Helpful fields of study include cryptology, computer science, mathematics, and engineering. Helpful attributes include:
- Ability to organize and manage activities
- Ability to work with abstract problems
- Interest in analyzing data
- Interest in solving problems
Job training consists of classroom instruction. Further training occurs on the job and through advanced courses. Course
content typically includes:
- Air, ground, and sea intelligence operations
- Photograph interpretation
- Use of surveillance equipment
- Reconnaissance equipment and weapons systems
Intelligence officers work in offices on land and aboard ships.
They may work in the field on maneuvers and military
Civilian intelligence officers generally work in federal agencies, such as the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and
Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
They perform duties similar to those performed by military intelligence