The military provides training and educational opportunities for all personnel. Teachers and instructors conduct classes in such academic subjects as engineering, physical science, social science, and nursing.
Teachers and instructors teach military personnel subjects that are related to their military occupations.
What They Do
Teachers and instructors in the military perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop course content, training outlines, and lesson plans
- Prepare training aids, assignments, and demonstrations
- Deliver lectures
- Conduct laboratory exercises and seminars
- Give tests and evaluate student progress
- Diagnose individual learning difficulties and offer help
Helpful attributes include:
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely
- Interest in teaching
- Preference for working closely with people
No initial job training is provided to officers in this occupation.
Teachers and instructors usually work in classrooms and lecture halls.
Civilian teachers and instructors work in junior colleges, colleges, and universities.
They perform duties similar to those performed in the military. They may teach several different courses within the same field of study.